Vaccination Passport FAQ
What are the new provincial requirements regarding access to non-essential facilities like fitness centres?
- Everyone accessing the YMCA, or other non-essential facility, must show their certificate proving they have had their second vaccination to be allowed to enter.
- The vaccination must have been received a minimum of 14 days prior to accessing the Y.
- Anyone with a medical exemption must bring a doctor’s note. (See below.)
- Anyone under the age of 12 is exempt.
Do people accessing the YMCA have to bring their vaccination certificate or medical note every time?
- No. A second vaccination certificate or doctor’s note need only be shown once.
When do the new rules take effect?
- The requirement to show either a second vaccination certificate or a doctor’s note for medical exemptions took effect on Wednesday, September 22.
How is the YMCA managing this process?
- Everyone who enters the YMCA must check in at the front desk. Avocado will indicate whether they have shown their certificate.
- Member services will not copy or otherwise store the certificate, but will indicate in Avocado that they have seen the certificate or doctor’s note.
- Parents or other responsible adults accompanying a child to a youth program, including swim lessons.
Do parents or guardians accompanying children to programs have to show their vaccination certificate?
- Yes. Access passes will be issued for parents or others accompanying children to youth rec or aquatics programs.
How are medical exemptions handled?
- Anyone coming to the Y with a medical exemption from obtaining a Covid vaccination, must provide a written document, completed and supplied by a physician (an MD) or by a registered nurse in the extended class (this includes: Registered Nurse (Extended Class), RN(EC), Nurse Practitioner or NP) stating that the individual is exempt for a medical reason from being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and the effective time-period for the medical reason. For more information on medical exemptions, please visit the Province of Ontario website.
Will the Y keep vaccination certificates or doctor’s notes on file?
- No. We will not be keeping certificates or notes on file.