YMCA Operations and Coronavirus or COVID-19 Update
The safety of our members, staff and volunteers are of paramount importance to us.
We have been in touch with KFLA Public Health who have confirmed that there are no reported cases of COVID-19 in our area. We are monitoring the situation closely and are following the advice of our local public health units.
Part of this advice is to cancel large gatherings, so we are cancelling Teen Night and Youth Night at Brockville YMCA until further notice. At the time of this update, we will be proceeding with March Break camps as planned. We are also continuing regular programming; however, we are monitoring the situation and will announce any changes.
Public Health advises that the best way to avoid getting ill is to take personal precautions. These include:
- Cleaning your hands often with soap and water or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer. Washing should last a minimum of 20 seconds or about the time it takes to sing the Happy Birthday song twice.
- Coughing and sneezing into the bend of your arm or a tissue, not into your hand.
- Avoiding touching your nose, mouth or eyes with your hands.
- Cleaning objects and surfaces that a lot of people touch, such as doorknobs, phones, and television remotes with regular household cleaner.
- Getting your influenza vaccine.
- Staying home when you are sick and avoiding contact with other people until your symptoms are gone.
- Not sharing personal items that come into contact with saliva such as toothbrushes, eating utensils, drinks, water bottles and towels.
Further, they advise that if you are feeling ill, you should call your health care provider in advance to let them know of your symptoms and any recent travel to COVID-19 affected areas. After hours, or if you do not have a health care provider, call Telehealth Ontario at 1-866-797-0000. Do not go to your health care provider or a walk-in clinic without calling ahead.
What we're doing in our facilities
- We have posted signs and are encouraging everybody who attends our facilities to perform good public health practices such as frequent handwashing, covering coughs and sneezes with an arm rather than your hands, and avoiding touching your face.
- We are providing hand sanitizer and tissues throughout our facilities.
- We are encouraging our members and participants to be diligent in wiping down all equipment before and after use and to place dirty towels in the bins provided.
- Our staff are being diligent and thorough in all of their regular cleaning and disinfecting procedures.
- We are encouraging all members, patrons, participants, staff and volunteers to stay at home if they are feeling unwell, and to follow the guidelines recommended by our public health units.
- We commit to keeping you apprised of any changes to our operations or public health guidelines, via our website and social media accounts.
Rest assured that we are taking this situation seriously and are committed to following health unit recommendations.
For up-to-date and accurate information, please visit:
CEO, YMCA of Eastern Ontario