Stay Safe: The following health protocols are in place at the YMCA of Eastern Ontario
Updated: March 20, 2021
Since the outset of the COVID-19 pandemic, the YMCA of Eastern Ontario has put the safety of members, staff, volunteers, and the children in our care as our most important job. That’s why we initiated a shut-down of operations before the provincial government required it and why we took our time in re-opening to make sure the right safety measures were in place. We have adapted to changes based on the best information available rather than waiting to be mandated to make changes.
Measures common to Brockville and Kingston YMCAs
- Access to the YMCA of Eastern Ontario is limited to YMCA members who live in Leeds, Grenville, Lanark, Kingston, Frontenac, Lennox and Addington.
- No out-of-area YMCA members may access our facilities at this time.
- No day passes will be sold.
- Visitors must scan their membership card or sign in to access our facilities. Among other things, this facilitates contact tracing.
- Pre-booking is required to access YMCA facilities.
- Visitors must self-screen before entering the building and again before scanning their membership card or signing in.
- Scanning your membership card or signing in is your agreement that you have passed the screening questionnaire and do not meet any of the criteria that would exclude you from being in a YMCA facility.
- Safe physical distancing is required at all times. Specific guidelines for each facility depending on level protocols are below.
- Masks are required at all times except when on cardio machines, swimming or in a group fitness class.
- Masks are required for weight training, in open gym, when playing squash and when walking from one workout space to another and at all other times.
- Equipment, machines and lockers must be sanitized before and after use.
- Hands should be washed regularly.
- The volume of music will be limited to a conversational level to prevent shouting by both instructors and members.
- Physical contact must be avoided for team or individual sports
- Saunas at both locations and the hot tub at Brockville Y remain closed.
In addition, we expect that:
- Everyone will be respectful of each other and the rules.
- We will treat each other with kindness. Everyone is doing the best they can under extraordinary circumstances, including our staff.
Specific measures for Kingston YMCA (Yellow Level)
- Safe physical spacing is 2 m or 6 ft.
- This includes change rooms where some lockers have been tied off to maintain space.
- Do not cut ties on lockers.
- Allow yourself enough time to get to a class to ensure that spacing can be maintained.
- NEW: Aquafit classes are limited to 10 participants per class and safe physical distancing is increased to 3 m or 10 ft.
Specific measures for Brockville YMCA (Red Level)
- Safe physical distancing increases to 3 m or 9 ft.
- All classes, including Aquafit, will be limited to 10 per class.
- Lane swims will be limited to four per lane, assuming physical distancing can be maintained.
- All other rooms/areas are restricted to 10 persons each.
- A time limit of 75 minutes in our facility is in place.
- Sports teams will be allowed to train, but no competition, games or scrimmage is permitted.
- Spectators are not allowed except for one parent or guardian per child.
- Change rooms are restricted to pool users only. Physical distancing must be maintained.
Anyone who refuses to follow health and safety rules will be required to leave the YMCA.